Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!


Happy Cinco de Mayo! We had a spanish FIESTA in my Spanish class today in honor of this famous "Mexican battle"! My teacher brought in her indoor grills, and made us ALL cheese quesadillas, and we had chips and dip, and more great mexican food.
I brought dessert! I made Martha's Mexican Wedding Cookies, as well as her Tres Leches Cake.
Everyone loved them! Even my spanish teacher( who i'm CONVINCED totally does NOT like me) gave me so much praise! Yay for mexican food!!

Mexican Wedding Cookies
from Martha Stewart's Cookie Book
1 cup whole blanched almonds, plus 40 more
for decorating
2 cups plus 2 tblsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup(2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 large egg white, beaten

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread 1 cup almonds on baking sheet, toast until fragrant, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Place almonds, flour, salt, and cinnamon in food processor, process until nuts are finely chopped, about 1 minute.
3. Beat butter and 1 cup confectioners' sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla and almond extracts; beat until combined. Add chopped-almond mixture; beat on low speed until dough just comes together.
4. Roll dough into 20 1 1/2 inch balls; place on 2 clean baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly.
5. Place 40 remaining whole almonds and 1 tblsp. beaten egg white in small bowl. toss to coat. press 2 almonds into top of each cookie.
6. bake cookies until lightly browned around edges, about 25 minutes, rotating halfway through. transfer sheets to wire rack; let rest until cookies are cool enough to handle.
7. place remaining 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar in a fine mesh sieve. sift sugar over cookies, reserving any remaining sugar. return cookies to baking sheet. let them cool 15 minutes, and coat with sugar again.

I apologize for the horrible pictures, but i forgot my camera today!
But that's the sliced cake, with one of my cookies.

My plate..haha I like chips =P
Here's the recipe for Martha's Tres Leches Cake.

Hope everyone has a great Cinco de Mayo!
Olay!!

No comments: