EVERYTIME my grandparents come over and i've made some dessert,my grandpa ALWAYS begs me to make him pecan stick buns. He tells me the stories of how when my mom was growing up he'd constantly make all these homemade breads, and rolls, and buns, and that sticky buns were the best thing he's ever made.
Well, i've never made sticky buns before, so I was very excited to start. This recipe is from the Better Homes baking book, and didn't look too hard to do. And to my excitement, wasn't at all!
My grandparents were just arriving as I was inverting them onto a plate, and the house smelled absolutely AMAZING. After dinner, I served them to my grandpa and waited anxiously for his reaction. After a nice big bite, all of a sudden he JUMPS up and gives me the BIGGEST hug ever. He said they were amazing, and one of the best sticky buns he's ever had! I was so happy! Even my dad had 2, and my brother warmed up 2 this morning for breakfast!
If you like sticky buns, I recommend making these for your families. It'll make you feel SO good.
Pecan Sticky Buns
from the Better Homes baking book
2 tsp active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water
3 tblsp butter, softened
3 tblsp sugar
2 tblsp nonfat dry milk powder
1 tsp salt
3 to 3-1/4 cups bread flour
1/3 cup butter softened
1 tblsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, milk powder, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. punch dough down. turn onto a lightly floured surface, roll into a 16in. x 10inch rectangle. spread with butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. roll up jelly-roll style, starting from a long side; pinch seam to seal. cut into 12 slices; set aside.
4. in a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup; cook over medium heat until the sugar is disolved. stir in pecans. pour into a greased 13x9in. baking pan. place rolls cut side down over sauce. cover and let rise until double about 1 hour.
5. bake at 375 for 20-25 min. or until golden brown. cool for 3 min. invert onto a serving platter.